Finally got the BPS put together!

bbqclyde

Here she is. I'm doing the initial test burn right now. So far its holding steady at 220 but i'm getting the white smoke, not the clear or light blue. Will that just take a while to start happening? Its only been burning for about 20-30min.

20140308_115842.jpg

bbqclyde

finally got my clear smoke! Its holding steady at 244 right now.

I did learn a few things from the build that i'll use if/when i build anohter.

1. new drums are nice but for all the work to burn it out, clean it, etc and the price of $90 i think next time i'd spend $25 on a used barrell even with the liner and pay $50 to have it sandblasted inside and out. I think for about the same price it would be much much easier.

2. Dont overtighten your screws/nuts. I over tightened one of the acorn nuts on one of the ubolts and it snapped the ubolt off. Had to make a home depot run for a new one.

3. This thing is going to be AWESOME!

DjPorkchop

You will love it.

When I light mine I get white smoke for an hour or so. Not sure why, but once it is cleaned up, this thing is a cooking machine. I just ran some MOINKS, Bacon Cheeseburger Fattie, and a Nekked Jimmy Dean Fattie. Mmmmm MMMM!

bbqclyde

i cooked 3 racks of st louis style spare ribs yesterday along with some chunked potatoes in foil packs and they were amazing.
I did my normal 3-2-1 method and i think the 2 hours in the foil may have been a bit much. They were falling off the bone they were so tender. Next time i'll try just 1 hour in the foil.

Next weekend i'm gonna try some tri-tip and see how that turns out. My true test will be brisket for spring break weekend on the 22nd. The brisket i make on my cheap offset is legendary among my friends and family, so the brisket on the UDS will be the true test.

DjPorkchop

Please let us know how that brisket turns out. I have yet to try one on either of my drum smokers. I been to scared to waste a good piece of meat.

And I tried the 3-2-1 method on my UDS and the 2 part was a bit much. The next run I went more like 3-1-.5 and the ribs were great. That was in a heat range of 235-250.

DjPorkchop

Sweet! I hope you like yours as much as I do mine. ;)

I did some pork steaks and baked taters last night and they turned out great. I love the grilling feature of the BP EDS. Night before that we did some MOINKS, Fatties, and some Memphis style sausage for a cheese tray.

bbqclyde

try 2 and 2 I hate 321 321 was done when people were cooking at 210

2 unfoiled and 2 foiled at 225 degrees?

I also want to try some unfoiled the whole time to see if thats something i could do at the lake this summer. Throw some ribs on about 2pm, go hang out on the lake, and then have them be ready at 6 or so whenever i come off the lake and back to the campsite.

jimsbarbecue

Staff member
White smoke for about a hour? Then it is fine. Honestly when we use a charcoal cooker waiting 30 minutes to a hour to have perfect fire at the right temp is ok by me. You don't want your meat sitting in the cooker with the initial white smoke that happens when you first fire it up. Get use to firing up the cooker. Last brisket we did I fired up the cooker first. Then got the brisket out and prepped and seasoned it. This is about 30 minutes, checked the cooker and it was right temp and the good smoke was coming out of it. Finished seasoning the meat and it went at about the 45 minute mark. Simple but if you prep first and light Cooker second you will be waiting on the cooker.

DjPorkchop

I'm curious on the 2-2 as well. I need to learn temp control with the EDS bad. I'm hoping your temp control is spot on bbqclyde. I let my fire get a tad hot this weekend and over cooked my spares a tad.

And yeah, an hour is really no biggie to me. I just use that time as an excuse to sit and drink a beer or two and watch the smoke and thermometer. ;)

This weekend, my buddy came by and wanted to have a cook out so I ran 2 racks of spares and MOINKS on the BPS drum and he ran my other uds and cooked up all kinds of good stuff. Then the gasser got fired up as well. One would have though we were feeding an army.

bbqclyde

my temp control has been pretty spot on so far.
It has stayed between 225-250 for 8 hours.. thats the longest i've had it burning.

bbqclyde

Last night i installed the silicon grommets from Maverick onto my uds for my temp probes.
I'll be cooking a brisket friday and hopefully it turns out as well as it does on my el-cheapo offset.

Top Bottom