Vent Problem

Longslide.45

I just put my smoker kit together last night. The vents had almost no curve. After I installed them on the drum the vents wont slide and the seal between the vents and the barrel is not tight. I'm using a new barrel within the recommended specks. Has any one else had this problem?

Salmonsmoker

Welcome to the forum longslide. Shaping the bottom vents to the diameter of your barrel is an easy fix. Get a cylinder that has a smaller diameter than your barrel- propane tank, scuba tank etc. Lay on it's side and roll the vents with gentle pressure from one edge to the other to shrink the diameter of the vent. After re-curving, you can look down the long edge of the vent to see if there are any sharp bends or flat spots along the length and re-adjust as needed. Do the vent frames and the vent door seperately as the vent door will make a stiffer bend where it's located in the frame and lead to kinking of the frame at the ends of the vent door. You can get some high heat silicone- the red is food grade- at an auto parts store to bed the vent in during assembly for an air tight seal to your barrel. In an earlier post I explained this procedure, but couldn't find it with the search function. Any more questions, we're here to help.

Longslide.45

I installed using your method, it was just to far off. The lips that hold the doors have no clearance for them to slide now. I'm going to contact customer service Monday and see what they say. It happens sometimes with stainless steel that it springs back after manufacture. It's a shame, the vent doors on this kit was what let me to buying this kit in the first place.

Last edited:
Top Bottom