Closed top drum conversion

HighCal

So far I only have found a closed top drum and have been unable to find a Weber domed lid. I did not have a tape measure but judging by my eye if I cut open the top along the inside edge a lid from an open top drum should fit on....I think. Has anyone done this ???

dajanx

I just checked on craigslist, and you can get a used weber 22.5 inch grill for 45 bucks.

This might sound a little steep since you are just going to use the lid, but I plan to make this upgrade at some point for more grilling space (second grill rack and dome lid).

HighCal

What city was this in ???
As I mentioned in another thread, I now found a new open top 30gallon drum at work , I just need to make a charcoal basket somehow, since I assume the one big pappa sells would be too big, and I guess I could buy the vents and handles etc. from big poppas website, so I might be back in business.

BabelBBQ

The radius on a 30 gallon drum is going to be smaller than the 55. The vents are curbed to match the 55. Mine needed a small adjustment to make the radius of the vents smaller so they fit my drum. I found a brand new 55 gallon drum good grade for about $75. Open top with a lid. I would advise you keep looking until you find a 55 gallon drum and then order the kit. In my opinion the price on http://www.bubbasbarrels.com is the to go.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

dajanx

The prices on bubbas barrels is $400 for a brand new 55 gallon drum (outrageous). The process for getting all the liner out of a used one is really not that bad; and if you have a wood hook up for burning it out, then that is another expense you can deduct.

BabelBBQ

That is for stainless. $179.99 gets you a used drum and the kit. 59.00 more and you get a new drum.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

DjPorkchop

You can easily use a closed top drum. Take a angle grinder and carefully grind on the outside lip of the barrel and soon you will notice a seam where the top is pushed in to the barrel. A little tap with a screw driver and hammer at this point will pop the top right off. You then add a handle to the lid and use it like a regular open top drum.

Top Bottom