NOOB: Drum Kit Prep?

dajanx

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my big poppa drum kit!

I had the food grade drum dropped off just yesterday, so I have until Tuesday for any prep you guys might recommend.

The inside of the drum and lid are lined with something, not to sure what it is, but the fruit juice company stickers are all over the outside.

I am unable to find the assembly instructions online, so would you recommend any preparation to the drum before receiving the kit on Tuesday?!

Thanks!

rockinshelby

You need to get that liner out. The only ways are to either sand blast or burn it out. I started with a new, unlined barrel and used a tiger torch to burn the paint off of the out side and the rustproofing from the inside. From what I understand, it's a lot of work getting that liner out. Here is a link to the instructional assembly video on youtube. <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuReRs-8pJs>

bcmcmoose

FWIW, I tried three times to burn mine out, then just took it and had it blasted and high temp powder coated. In the end I was glad I did.. it turned out great and I didnt have to worry about the toxic liner getting on the food

tsiguy96

how do you know 100% for sure if you have a liner inside? i did a high heat burn and saw some flaking but was told my barrel was unlined?

dajanx

If the barrel is lined, you will know just by looking at it. The barrel I got had black paint on the outside, and a yellow liner on the inside. I burned it twice and am very happy with the results. I have already painted the outside, but I am still working on cleaning the inside. After burning, the liner is coming off rather easy, but it is a pain.
I am using a wire wheel bit with my cordless drill, this is not the best way but it does work.
After all this I would recommend a new barrel or at least taking it for a sand blast. Unfortunately I went this route, but in the end I believe it will all be worth it.
For paint I went with the Rustoleum High Temp Paint, in grey. This is rated up to 2000 degrees, so I am going to use engine enamel (more colors) after, for the team colors, which is rated up to 500 degrees.

JuggZaPoppiN

For mine I started a fire in it with some old pallets and had a good burn going for 6+ hours. Sanded the outside and did a quick clean on the inside. I figured whatever on the inside didn't burn off won't effect anything. Especially setting that you cook at MUCH lower temps than a fire would be at.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

dajanx

All painted and assembled. smoker.jpg

dajanx

How do you tell if it is left or right handed? It just ended up that way really. Used it this weekend, was absolutely amazing. With the lid hanger, no problems at all in bad weather. I rolled up a Jimmy Dean's sausage with a whole lot of cheddar jack cheese and then wrapped it in bacon (FATTY). Turned out amazing, had it for breakfast the next day as well. Also did ribs for dinner, great stuff.

fatty.jpg

Top Bottom