Charcoal basket

HighCal

How many times can you fill a basket with one bag of briquettes??? Meaning how long does a bag of briquettes last, two, three cook outs ???

Jackb

IDK exactly, but definitely a lot more than two or three. Mine seem to last forever. Start a bunch of briquettes in a charcoal starting tube, then add them to the basket. When you're done cooking close all the vents and save what's left. Just shake the basket to get rid of the excess dust and add a little fresh charcoal as required each time you start the smoker.

scooter

Staff member
It would really depend on the size bag of charcoal. The way I use my drums are for cooks under 3 hours and more to the point they're mostly between 1 and 2 hours. Longer than 3 hours and I'm more than likely going to give my MAK the nod. 8 out of 10 cooks I'm going low and slow at first then raging hot at the end for searing which takes a toll on briquets.
With that in mind I use maybe 3 or 4 lbs of blue bag max. The basket is only about a quarter full. When done and cooled I'll shake the basket over my ash can and whatever briquets don't fall through the wires of the basket gets reused for the next cook with fresh briquets added on top. Works well for me. Using around 10-15 lit coals each time to start the fire.
I use mainly 13 & 20 lb bags of K blue and they last a couple weeks maybe less depending on the number of cooks and the size of the bag and the amount of high heat searing done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while driving one handed!

Last edited:
Top Bottom