Closed head drum ??

HighCal

First let me say hi, I am new to the forum,I am from Quebec Canada, not to many people smoking around here so its nice to come hear and learn. My boss offered me a new drum we had at work to build a smoker, but unfortunately its a closed head drum. Is there any mods other than cutting the top off and using a Weber dome lid that can be done to turn a closed head drum into a smoker using the BPS kit.????

Also, I keep reading about using a food grade drum which makes sense, but I am assuming this is only when using a used drum ???? As far as I know the metal which is used in drums is the same be it food grade or not, or a I wrong ???

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Salmonsmoker

Welcome HighCal. An unused drum is the same steel. A closed head drum doesn't have the same rolled edge as an open head drum. You might be able to cut the drum top off by cutting as close to the crimp on the inside of the barrel and get a weber grill top. Cutting around the inside tight to the barrel wall would give you a thicker stronger rim.

HighCal

Ok thanks, that's what I thought, I was hoping there was another solution other than using the weber lid since I doubt I will find one. Oh well, back to the drum search lol

scooter

Staff member
Yes, I'd say if you want to use the BPS drum kit, use a drum with a lid.
The type of steel in food grade and non food grade drums is the same as far as I know.

Top Bottom